We’re delighted to introduce the 15 Early Career Researchers who have been selected to present their cutting edge research at the AHRC Science in Culture Theme Ignite event on 26th March 2014. The event will be held at the Natural History Museum and limited tickets are still available.

The tenth Science in Culture Theme Ignite Speaker is:

UTE KREPLIN, Liverpool John Moores University, ‘Processing Art in the Rostal Prefrontal Cortex of the Brain’

Ute KreplinIn the spirit of Ignite can you describe your topic in 140 characters?

Neuroaesthetics is a field that researches brain processes during the contemplation of art; here we will focus on emotions.

What would you like people to take away from your Ignite talk?

The frontal brain plays an important role during the experience of emotions in visual art.

How did you get involved in interdisciplinary research across Sciences and Arts and Humanities?

My PhD was part of a interdisciplinary project between the Sciences and Arts and Humanities.

Tell us a bit about your academic background.

I completed my undergraduate studies at the University of St Andrews in Scotland with a joint honours degree in Psychology and Social Anthropology.  I have since completed a PgCert in cognitive behavioural therapy based interventions and a MSc in Applied Positive Psychology. The MSc led to the start of my PhD in Neuroaesthetics.

A film of Ute Kreplin’s presentation at the AHRC Science in Culture Theme Ignite event is available here.