We’re delighted to introduce the 15 Early Career Researchers who have been selected to present their cutting edge research at the AHRC Science in Culture Theme Ignite event on 26th March 2014. The event will be held at the Natural History Museum and limited tickets are still available.

The first Science in Culture Theme Ignite Speaker is:

JAMES ANDOW, University of Nottingham, ‘What do we think about Colours?’

ANDOWIn the spirit of Ignite can you describe your topic in 140 characters?

Philosophers who care about how people think should use empirical tools. We found some surprising facts about people’s views about colours!

What would you like people to take away from your Ignite talk?

Working out how people think about complicated philosophical issues from their answers to surveys is no simple matter.  People who tick ‘there is no fact of the matter about x’ may not think there is no fact of the matter. So, you have to be careful what questions you ask.

How did you get involved in interdisciplinary research across Sciences and Arts and Humanities?

I took a grad class in experimental philosophy in Sheffield during my MA year.  Since then, I have appreciated that, when they crop up your philosophical research, you can answer empirical questions for yourself (perhaps with collaborators) rather than waiting and hoping someone else gets round to it.

Tell us a bit about your academic background.

I’ve just completed my PhD in Philosophy at the University of Nottingham.

A film of James Andow’s presentation at the AHRC Science in Culture Theme Ignite event is available here.